Showing posts with label richard kay. Show all posts
Showing posts with label richard kay. Show all posts

Friday, 13 April 2012

'I now know this is not Mrs Briggs’s view'

A clarification from the Mail's Richard Kay, published on 28 March:

Last week in an article about the Duchess of York’s former dresser Jane Andrews, who has been in prison for 11 years for murder, I reported Mrs Basia Briggs as saying she hoped Andrews didn’t get parole. I now know this is not Mrs Briggs’s view and regret the misunderstanding that led me to say that it was. In fact, she hopes that Andrews can repair her life.

(Hat-tip to Richard)

Sunday, 11 September 2011

Mail clarification about Lord Coe

On Thursday, Mail diarist Richard Kay corrected an error that he made the week before:

My apologies to Lord and Lady Coe for reporting that they had hosted a party at their Surrey home at the weekend. Lord Coe was, of course, in South Korea at the world athletics championship in his capacity as Vice President of the International Association of Athletics Federations at the time. It was a case of mistaken identity by my source and I’m sorry for any embarrassment caused.

Thursday, 18 August 2011

Too much and not enough

Following the death of two horses during this year's Grand National, the Mail's website and the Mail on Sunday picked up on some critical viewer comments that claimed the BBC had glossed over the equine fatalities. The Mail accused the BBC of a 'cover-up' and reported:

One viewer wrote on the corporation’s own website: ‘I’m amazed that the BBC coverage pans over the tarpaulins on the re-run and the commentators just talk about “obstacles”.’

Another said: ‘And the BBC – shame on you. No mention of what’s happened, even when there’s 2 dead covered horses on screen.’


But yesterday, Mail diarist Richard Kay was all-too pleased to repeat comments made to him by former BBC racing commentator Peter O'Sullevan, who attacked the BBC for a rather different reason:

‘Someone at the BBC obviously wanted to make a name for himself,’ he tells me. ‘They want to make it more sensational, with shots of dead horses and focusing on the tragic and unexpected deaths that occurred this year. It really is unacceptable.’

So the Mail newspapers happily repeat claims the BBC didn't cover the deaths enough and claims the BBC covered them too much.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Thursday, 19 November 2009

Richard Kay should stop writing about the Aga Khan

Two months ago, Mail diarist Richard Kay - who seems to spend his time revealing gossip about rich people most of us haven't heard of - apologised to Prince Hussain Aga Khan for a story that was seven years out of date:

My story of January 2 suggested that Prince Hussain Aga Khan had added a spare room to his house "despite the credit crunch". In fact, the renovation work took place between 2001 and 2002. Prince Hussain has also asked me to point out that his wife is also not a psychologist, as has been reported. My apologies for the errors.

Then last month (although this has only just been put on the PCC website), another Richard Kay apology for another Aga Khan story:

In an item on May 4, I reported that two boats owned by the Aga Khan, including the Destriero, which broke the transatlantic speed record, had been moved from Plymouth to a German boatyard for anticipated multimillion-pound refits.

I am now told there are no current plans or contracts for the refit of Destriero and that the other vessel has been decommissioned and no longer exists.

I apologise for creating any incorrect impression.

'Creating any incorrect impression'? That an interesting way of saying 'making up stuff'.