Two weeks after, on 12 May, the Sun apologised and retracted the story:
Our April 30 article wrongly stated that Boy George forced Jack Tweed to run away from him after he approached Tweed in the prison showers.
We now accept that they have not met in prison or otherwise and had separate washing facilities in the jail. We apologise for the error.
Let's just recall some of the (totally made up) details from the original story:
- Jack 'turned tail and ran from the showers in prison — after THREE encounters with naked gay star Boy George.'
- 'Shy Jack...repeatedly met beefy George'
- 'As soon as he saw Boy George was standing there naked having a wash he was gobsmacked.'
- 'Jack twice went to the showers only to find the 1980s icon already in there wiping himself down.'
- 'He had a fleeting eye contact with Boy George...before he turned around and fled'.
- 'The third time he went into the changing room, Boy George was getting undressed for his morning wash'.
'We now accept that they have not met in prison or otherwise and had separate washing facilities in the jail'.