Friday, 18 March 2011

Mirror retracts story on carbon monoxide poisoning

The PCC has published details of a complaint against a scaremongering article in the Daily Mirror:

The Northern Health and Social Care Trust complained to the Press Complaints Commission that the newspaper had published an article which inaccurately reported that two people had been admitted and treated in Causeway Hospital following carbon monoxide poisoning.

And the case was resolved when the newspapers published the following:

On 11 August last under the headline "2 more poisoned", we reported that two women were admitted to and treated overnight at the Causeway Hospital in Coleraine shortly after a public safety warning had been issued concerning carbon monoxide poisoning following the suspected faulty installation of gas appliances.

At that time the hospital stated that it had no record of two women being admitted or treated in the hospital and we accept this.

The two women concerned said they had attended the A&E department because they had symptoms consistent with exposure to carbon monoxide gas and had been advised to seek urgent medical attention.

We have since been made aware that although the women were concerned they may have had CO poisoning, in fact, they did not.

We are happy to clarify the position.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

Comments are moderated - generally to filter out spam and comments wishing death on people - but other messages will be approved as quickly as possible.