Just in time for the start of the World Cup in South Africa, a primary school in Essex has banned playground football. You guessed - elf 'n' safety.
Marion Smith, headmistress of Thomas Willingale primary, in Debden, said she was worried about young children getting hit in the face by heavy leather footballs.
There have also been complaints about balls bouncing into the road and hitting cars.
One parent said: 'It's appalling. How are we meant to have a World Cup-winning team in the future if they won't let kids play football?'
Debden is only a few miles from the school where David Beckham learned his skills.
Talk about an own goal.
Today, he returns to the same story. Why? Because he got it completely wrong:
On Friday, I reported that parents of children at a primary school in Essex were angry that playground football had been banned during the World Cup.
I've since heard from Marion Smith, the head of Thomas Willingale Primary, in Debden, who tells me she has only ever suspended playground football for a week to punish bad behaviour.
She has asked parents to give children lightweight balls to prevent injury, but was devastated by claims that she had banned it completely.
Ofsted has commended the school for its outstanding commitment to all sports, including football.
My comments were based on emails from parents and a report in the local newspaper, but the responsibility is all mine. I owe Mrs Smith and her staff an unqualified apology.
So, for once, well done to Littlejohn for publishing this correction so swiftly, and for offering an 'unqualified apology'.
But isn't that penultimate sentence rather telling? He wrote his original rant based on emails and newspaper reports. He didn't bother to phone the school and do even the slightest bit of fact-checking.
It's not the first time - remember the police chief apology or the thing with the dogs - and because he never seems to do any actual research, it won't be the last.